TWAS-COMSTECH Joint Research Grants are intended for young scientists in countries belonging to the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to enable them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity. The programme aims at encouraging the pursuit of scientific excellence in OIC countries by identifying and supporting the best young scientists there; reinforcing and promoting scientific research and strengthening the endogenous capacity in science and technology; and counteracting the brain drain and reducing the exodus of scientific talent from the OIC countries.
- The OIC Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH)-TWAS Joint Research Grants Programme complements the TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences for individual young scientists and for research units, and the Research Grants Programme of the International Foundation for Science (IFS).
- COMSTECH-TWAS Joint Research Grants are awarded to high-level and promising research projects carried out by young individual scientists in OIC countries.
- A Research Grant amounts to a maximum of USD 15,000.
- A grant is normally provided for a period of 24 months and is renewable once.
- A grant may be used to purchase scientific equipment, consumables and specialized literature (textbooks and proceedings only). The grant does not cover salaries of researchers and/or students, field expenses, travel expenses and/or participation in international conferences.
- The programme provides support for research projects in the following fields of science and technology: earth sciences, engineering sciences, information technology and computer sciences, materials science including nanotechnology, pharmaceutical sciences and renewable energy.
Eligibility of Applicants
- Individual applicants must be nationals of OIC member states, with a PhD and some research experience, but at the beginning of their careers. They should hold positions at universities or research institutions in one of the OIC countries. As a general rule, the grants are awarded to competent scientists under the age of 40 years.
- Scientists who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
- A written agreement is made between TWAS, the grantee and his/her institute. The institute undertakes to administer the grant according to the agreement and to provide laboratory space, salaries and other facilities necessary for the project. Equipment, consumables and literature provided for the project through the COMSTECH-TWAS Joint Research Grants Programme remain the property of the institute after the project is completed.
- The research grant is kept at TWAS for the purchase of all items requested by the grantee. TWAS contacts the supplier(s) upon receipt of proforma invoices submitted by the grantee in accordance with the itemized budget.
- Awardees are required to submit a final report within one year of receipt of the last items purchased.
How to apply
- TWAS Research Grant applications can ONLY be submitted online now by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab at the bottom of this page.
- Please note that a researcher may only submit one application at a time and for only one kind of grant (as an individual applicant, as a research unit or COMSTECH).
- For any queries please contact: Ms. P. Patel TWAS, ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11, 34151 Trieste, Italy, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When to apply
- The deadline for receiving applications is 31 May each year. However, we strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit your application as early as you can to enable us to process your application as quickly as possible.
- Please note that the assignment meetings of the COMSTECH-TWAS Research Grants Committees will be held by February of the following year. Applicants will be notified of the outcome shortly after the meeting.