With funds provided by the Italian government, TWAS encourages the organization of high-level international and regional scientific activities in developing countries by offering financial assistance to the organizers of such events. Deadline for applications is 31 July of each year for meetings held in the following year.
Since 1986, TWAS has been supporting scientists and institutions in developing countries through a wide range of programmes including supporting scientific meetings organized in developing countries. With funds provided by the Italian government, TWAS encourages the organization of high level international and regional scientific activities in developing countries by offering financial assistance to the organizers of conferences, workshops, symposia and special meetings held in these countries.
Grants are offered for meetings in the following fields of natural sciences: agricultural, biological, chemical, engineering, geological and medical sciences. Grants are not offered for meetings in physics and mathematics; these fields are covered by a similar programme sponsored by the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP).
- Support is normally provided in the form of travel grants for principal speakers from abroad and/or participants from developing countries other than the country where the meeting is held. The amount provided normally does not exceed USD5,000.
- Special consideration will be given to those meetings that are likely to benefit the scientific communitiy in developing countries and promote regional and international cooperation in science, technology and innovation and their applications to real-world problems.
- TWAS only considers applications made by organizers of international and regional scientific meetings in developing countries. TWAS does not provide support to individual scientists wishing to attend a scientific event, even if the event is taking place in a developing country.
- The grant is intended only for air tickets.
- TWAS must be acknowledged as a co-sponsor in all material and websites related to the supported activity.
- Funds can only be released after the meeting and upon receipt of the original used ticket stubs and boarding passes of the participants benefiting from the grant.
- Immediately after the meeting, organizers should send TWAS a final narrative and financial report, the final scientific programme and the list of participants and lecturers.
- All documentary evidence needed to release funds from TWAS must be submitted by the organizers within six months from the end of the meeting.
- Complete the electronic application form below using Microsoft Word or any other word-processing programme.
- The application must be signed by both the applicant and the head of the institution.
- Incomplete and/or unsigned applications cannot be considered.
- The application form should be completed in all its parts and sent by email to email@example.com.
- TWAS will acknowledge receipt of an application within three weeks. If you do not receive an acknowledgment within this period, please contact: Ms. P. Patel, TWAS, ICTP Campus, Via Beirut 6, 34151 Trieste, Italy, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
for receiving applications is:
- 31 July for meetings held in the following year
We strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the application as early as you can to enable us to process your application as fast as possible. Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their requests within four months of each deadline.
IMPORTANT: Only requests from organizers of meetings in the above fields can be considered by TWAS. TWAS does not provide support to individual scientists wishing to attend a scientific event, even if the event is taking place in a developing country.