- TWAS-USM Visiting Researchers Fellowships in natural sciences are tenable for a minimum period of one month to a maximum of three months at a school/department of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM). For a complete list of schools and departments at USM see http://www.usm.my/index.php/en/direktori/academic-new
- USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 55 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
- Hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences and a regular research assignment with at least five years of postdoctoral research experience.
- Provide an official Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM to TWAS. Requests for preliminary acceptance letters must be directed to the Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies, USM who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. The request for a preliminary acceptance letter must be sent by email to Professor Dr. Othman Sulaiman: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and must be accompanied by:
- The application form duly filled in available here: http://www.ips.usm.my/index.php/downloads/tWAS-USM under ‘Visiting Researcher’;
- Latest CV;
- List of Publications;
- PhD degree certificate;
- Front page of publication;
- Letter of recommendation from current employer (date: DD/MM/2015);
- A summary proposal (maximum: 3 pages).
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications to TWAS is 15 September of each year.
- Applicants must submit the preliminary acceptance letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. The deadline for submitting applications to USM is 15 June 2016. Without preliminary acceptance letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS and USM The subject line must contain: USM/VS/ candidate's surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent by post in sealed envelopes. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants to the TWAS-USM Visiting Scholar Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS and USM (by email).
TWAS Exchanges Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 330
Fax: +39 040 2240 689