02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for a minimum period of twelve (12) months to a maximum period of three years and are awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) to enable them to pursue advanced research in the natural sciences.
- USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food.
- The award of the fellowship is subject to obtaining in due course a final offer letter of admission from USM that must be approved by the relevant USM School. Upon receipt of the USM-TWAS award letter from TWAS, candidates will need to contact in due course the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) of USM to apply for the final offer letter. In case the application for the final offer letter of admission is not approved by USM, the award will become null and void.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Malaysia) and hold a research assignment there;
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from the USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) ) (see sample Acceptance Letter, on page 6). Requests for acceptance letters must be directed to Prof. Rozman Hj Din, Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies (at emails: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. The acceptance letter must come from the IPS Dean (and not from any Head of Department or supervisors at USM).
- In contacting the IPS Dean applicants must accompany their request for an acceptance letter by complying to all the following requirements:
Filling in an Application Form online ONLY via the following link: http://www.ips.usm.my/index.php/downloads/TWAS-USM;
Provide copy of all the following documents
- Latest CV;
- List of Publications;
- Certified copies of Bachelor, Master and PhD certificates,
- PhD Thesis abstract;
- Front page of publications,
- Letter of recommendation from current employer (date: DD/MM/2015)
- A summary proposal (maximum: 3 pages),
- Some evidence of proficiency in English.
Only requests for preliminary acceptance letters that contain ALL the above required documents will be processed by the IPS, USM.
- The deadline for the online application form and for submitting requests for an acceptance letter to the Dean of the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM, is 15 June 2016. Therefore, please apply for the acceptance letter from the IPS Dean before this date. NB: The acceptance letter will not be issued by the Dean of IPS, USM after 15 June.
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications to TWAS is 15 September of each year.
- Applicants must submit the Acceptance Letter from the USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Without the acceptance letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachment via e-mail directly to TWAS and USM. The subject line must contain: USM/ PDoc/the candidate’s surname. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants to the TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS and USM (by email).
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
Prof. Rozman Hj Din
Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS)11800 Penang, Malaysia
Phone: +604 6532930
Fax: +60 4 6532931
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
|2016 PDoc application form||195.5 KB|