02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- TWAS-CNPq Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable at research institutions in Brazil for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months. They are awarded to scientists from developing countries (other than Brazil) to enable them to pursue postdoctoral research in the natural sciences.
- A list of research institutions in Brazil where TWAS-CNPq Fellowships are tenable (CAPES-Conceito 5, 6 and 7) is available for download below.
- CNPq will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- Information about living conditions, such as possibilities of accommodation, transportation, and any other issues related to the candidate's stay in Brazil must be obtained locally, directly from the host institution. Neither TWAS nor CNPq can provide this information.
- The research activities are developed in Portuguese in most institutions, but communication will be mainly in English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- There is no age limit for this programme.
- Must not hold a visa for permanent or temporary residency in Brazil or in a developed country.
- Hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences.
- Be a regular employee in a developing country (other than Brazil) and hold a research assignment there.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (please refer to the sample available at the CNPq weblink http://www.cnpq.br/web/guest/chamadas-publicas?p_p_id=resultadosportlet_WAR_resultadoscnpqportlet_INSTANCE_0ZaM&filtro=abertas&detalha=chamadaDivulgada&desc=chamadas&idDivulgacao=7182) . Only CAPES-listed (levels 5, 6 or 7) Brazilian institutions are eligible (see point 2 above).
- Prove knowledge of Portuguese or provide a certificate of proficiency in Spanish or English (if these languages are not the candidate's mother tongue).
- Have an updated Curriculum Vitae on CNPq’s Lattes Platform (see note on online applications below).
- Present a detailed research plan agreed by her/his host supervisor.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Submitting your application
- Applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships must be submitted online only.
- Information on the call for applications where you will find the programme details, eligibility criteria, required documents and certificates as well as the online application form are available in the note below and at http://www.cnpq.br/web/guest/chamadas-publicas?p_p_id=resultadosportlet_WAR_resultadoscnpqportlet_INSTANCE_0ZaM&filtro=abertas&detalha=chamadaDivulgada&desc=chamadas&idDivulgacao=7182
- Applicants must be aware that CNPq and TWAS will not accept applications submitted by any other means except via the online application form.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CAPES-listed institution to CNPq when applying. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Queries concerning the call for applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships programmes should be directed to email@example.com
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and OWSD are mutually exclusive.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-687
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
• National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq)
International Cooperation Office (ASCIN)
SHIS Quadra 01 Conjunto B, Bloco "D",
Edificio Santos Dumont
Lago sul Brasília, DF, CEP: 71605-001
Phone + 55 61 3211 9446, + 55 61 3211 9610
Fax: +55 61 2108-9442
|Guidelines CV Lattes 2017||1.23 MB|
|Guidelines online application form||888.34 KB|
|Sample acceptance letter for host institute||9.73 KB|
|TWAS-CNPq application form 2017||160 KB|
|Postgraduate programmes 5, 6 and 7 CAPES||147.92 KB|
|Call for applications 2017 - New schedule||50.53 KB|
|Call for applications 2017 - CNPq-TWAS English||156.36 KB|