- TWAS-UPM Visiting Scholars Fellowships in natural sciences are tenable for a minimum period of one month to a maximum of three months at a school/department of the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM). For a complete list of schools and departments at UPM see www.sgs.upm.edu.my.
- UPM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 55 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
- Hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences and a regular research assignment with at least five years of postdoctoral research experience.
Provide an official Acceptance letter (see sample Acceptance Letter, page 5 of the application guidelines). The guideline to obtain an Acceptance Letter is available at the School of Graduate Studies, UPM website. The URL link to the website is: http://www.sgs.upm.edu.my/sp/page/4382/TWASVSStepByStep
Please note that: the applicant must have already identified potential host supervisor/professor in UPM before sending their request for an acceptance letter to the School of Graduate Studies, UPM; the acceptance letter must come from the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, UPM only (and NOT from any other Head of Department or supervisors at UPM).
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
Submitting your application
- Download the application form from the link at the bottom of the page.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 September of each year.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from a UPM school/department and TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS and UPM. The subject line must contain: UPM/VR/ candidate's surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent by post in sealed envelopes. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants to the TWAS-UPM Visiting Scholar Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS (by email) and UPM (by post and email).
TWAS Exchanges Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 330
Fax: +39 040 2240 689
Dean, School of Graduate Studies
Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
43400 UPM Serdang,
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
(Attention: Mr. Saiful Maskan)
Tel: +603-8946 4207/4216
Fax: +603-8946 4232