02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- STARTING IN 2018 APPLICATIONS CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED VIA THE ONLINE PORTAL- PLEASE USE THE "APPLY NOW" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO START YOUR APPLICATION.
- OPENING DATE OF THIS FELLOWSHIP: 1 June 2018
- CLOSING DATE OF THIS FELLOWSHIP: 31 August 2018
- Applicants can apply for preliminary acceptance letters from their chosen host institutes under the chosen fellowship programme well before the opening date of the call.
Preliminary acceptance letters dated 2017 or earlier will NOT be accepted as they must be dated the same year as the year of application.
- TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for a minimum period of twelve (12) months to a maximum period of twp (2) years and are awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) to enable them to pursue advanced research in the natural sciences.
- USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance.
- The award of the fellowship is subject to obtaining in due course a final offer letter of admission from USM. Upon receipt of the USM-TWAS award letter from TWAS, candidates will need to contact in due course the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) of USM to apply for the final offer letter. In case the application for the final offer letter of admission is not approved by USM, the award will become null and void.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Malaysia) and hold a research assignment there;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English (TOEFL/IELTS).
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
Finding a Potential Supervisor
- Finding a supervisor is compulsory before submitting application to USM.
- List of potential supervisors can be attained from this link: http://experts.usm.my/
- After the applicant has appoint a supervisor, please request the supervisor to fill in Section B (Supervisor’s Particulars) in TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Application Form (Note: The form can be downloaded from this link: http://www.ips.usm.my/index.php/download/category/19-twas)
Request for Preliminary Acceptance Letter
- In contacting the Dean of the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) USM, applicants must accompany their request for a Preliminary Acceptance Letter by sending nine (9) documents, as detailed below in a zip file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- The following 9 documents are compulsory for the evaluation of the USM Human Resource Board (USM HR):
- TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Application Form. NB: To download the form, kindly click on the link http://www.ips.usm.my/index.php/download/category/19-twas
- Latest Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Certified copies of the Bachelor, Master and PhD certificates
- PhD Thesis abstract
- List of Publications (ISI/SCOPUS)
- Front page of publications (ISI/SCOPUS)
- Letter of recommendation from current employer (Date: DD/MM/2018)
- A summary proposal / Research Plan
- Evidence of proficiency in English (TOEFL/IELTS)
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications to TWAS is 31 August 2018.
- Applicants must submit the Acceptance Letter from the USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Without the acceptance letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted via the online portal.
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and OWSD are mutually exclusive.
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-687
Fax: +39 040 2240-689