TWAS Visiting Expert Programme
for areas of natural sciences other than mathematics and physics [*]
[*] Proposals for mathematics and physics should be directed to the "Visiting Scholar/Consultant Programme" of the Office of External Activities, Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy.
The programme supports visits of internationally renowned scientists to institutions located in developing countries, especially those located in the Least Developed Countries (LDCs).
The objective of the programme is to provide institutions and research groups in developing countries, especially those with limited outside contacts, with the opportunity to establish long-term links with world leaders in science and so help develop capacity-building in their country.
- Under the programme, prospective host institutions can invite internationally renowned experts in areas of science other than mathematics and physics to collaborate in research and training. The visiting expert will be expected to interact closely with faculty and students of the host institution with the aim of strengthening its existing activities and/or assisting in the establishment of new lines of research. The visiting expert could also deliver lectures and seminars to research students, supervise students, conduct research and discuss future collaborative partnerships.
- The visit should have a minimum stay of two weeks at the host institution. Applications to renew successful visits will be considered in the following year(s). The sponsoring organizations, through TWAS, will provide the Visiting Expert with the most direct economy class travel (round-trip). An honorarium of USD 200 is provided by the sponsoring organizations, while the host institution is expected to cover local expenses.
- On completion of the visit, the visiting expert and the host institution should provide comprehensive reports outlining the impact the visit has had on the educational and research programmes of the host institution.
Institutions wishing to be considered for this programme should fill in the relevant request form (see below). As the programme is striving towards providing equal opportunities, nominations of women will be particularly welcomed. Only persons who have attained international recognition in their fields of science will be considered for support under this programme.
- Part A of the application form should be completed by the head of the host institution in a developing country and sent to the TWAS Secretariat.
- Part B of the application form should be forwarded by the head of the host institution to the visiting expert for completion, along with a copy of Part A for information. The visiting expert should complete Part B, attach his/her full curriculum vitae, and send it directly to the TWAS Secretariat.
- Both Part A and Part B should reach the TWAS Secretariat by 1 October of each year at the following address:
TWAS, ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11, 34151 Trieste, Italy.
Phone: +39 040 2240-330 - Fax: +39 040 224-559