From 2017 applications can only be submitted via online portal once the call is open.
Please use the “apply now” button at the bottom of this page to start your application once the call is open.
Opening date of this fellowship: 1 April 2019
Closing date of this fellowship: 30 June 2019
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the preliminary acceptance letter as early as possible, even before the opening date of the call. Keeping in mind that only Acceptance letters dated the same year as the year of application are eligible.
- TWAS-SN Bose Posdoctoral Fellowships are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Science in Kolkata, India, for studies towards postdoctoral research in the physical sciences for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months.
- The Centre carries out the following research activities:
- Linear and Non-linear spectroscopy, Ultrafast molecular processes and spectroscopy, Ultrafast dynamics in biological macromolecules and magnetization, Ultrafast laser induced processes, Soft condensed matter systems of chemical and biological interests, mesocopic physics, ionic liquids, multi-component liquid mixtures, supercooled melts, supercritical fluids, bio-nano interface, nano-magnetism, magnonic crystals, micromagnetic simulations, Nanomaterials in general, and Physics of Correlated oxides, low dimensional systems, magnetic shape memory alloys, dilute magnetic semi-conductors, multi-ferroic materials, thin films of metals and oxides, electronic, magnetic and structural properties of complex materials, superconductivity, strongly correlated electronic systems, quantum many-body physics, micromagnetic and monte carlo simulation of static and dynamic properties of nanomagnets, theoretical study of thermalconductivity, Ab initio plane wave pseudo-potential calculation, strongly correlated electron systems, electronic structure and transport through nano-materials.
- Quantum field theory, mathematical physics, cognitive science, granular physics, non-commutative quantum mechanics, statistical physics, non-linear dynamics, turbulences, lattice gauge theories, representation theory of lie groups and coherent states, quantum optics, black holes, constrained dynamics, quantum gravity, quantum spin systems, collective behaviour and emergent phenomena, explosive percolation, complex networks and critical phenomena.
- Cosmology, Relativistic Astrophysics, ionospheric science, Astrochemistry.
- S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs and food. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. Free on-campus accommodation will be provided. The monthly stipend does not cover comprehensive health insurance. The Centre does however deduct a small contribution towards a Contributory Medical Scheme. The benefits are partial reimbursement of Doctor's fees, medicines and/or hospitalization costs, if any, and only for costs incurred in Kolkata. The reimbursement structure is along the lines of the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) of the Government of India.
- The S.N. Bose Centre does not provide comprehensive health or medical insurance to its staff or students. All SN Bose-TWAS fellows must have their own "Medical Insurance" before joining the programme to cover medical emergencies.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 45 years on 31 December of the year of application.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Be regularly employed in a developing country (other than India) and hold a research assignment there.
- Hold a PhD degree in physics, mathematics or physical chemistry.
- Be accepted by a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre. Prospective applicants are advised to visit the S.N. Bose National Centre's website www.bose.res.in Requests for preliminary acceptance must be directed to the Dean (Academic Programme), S.N. Bose National Center for Sciences, Kolkata by e-mail: email@example.com or fax: (+91) 33 2335 3477. In contacting the Dean (Academic Programme), applicants must accompany their request for a preliminary acceptance letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 30 June 2019.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-SN Bose Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted via the online portal. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes.
One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 314
Fax: +39 040 2240 689
• S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
Dean (Academic Programme)
JD Block, Sector 3, Salt Lake City
Kolkata 700098, India
Tel: +91 33 2335 5706
Fax: +91 33 2335 3477
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
|ONLINE APPLICATION FORM_TUTORIAL||1.34 MB|