The composition and duties of the Steering Committee are set out in the Agreement between the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the Government of the Italian Republic concerning TWAS.
The Steering Committee:
- Is composed of one representative appointed by UNESCO; two representatives appointed by the Government of Italy, of whom one scientist; and two representatives of developing countries, one designated by the Director-General of UNESCO and the other by the Italian Government
- Ensures the coordination and rational use of all resources made available to TWAS concerning the programme activities of the Academy, submitting TWAS draft programme and budget to the Director-General of UNESCO for final approval
- Facilitates the functioning and activities of TWAS, liaising with the competent Italian authorities and settling any matter that may arise in connection with the location of TWAS headquarters on the Italian territory
- Ensures that the activities of TWAS, while maintaining their specificity, are coordinated with the international scientific institutions based in Trieste and Venice, and more specifically with those placed under the aegis of UNESCO
- Meets at least once a year.