03-Biological Systems and Organisms
07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
10-Social and Economic Sciences
Please use the “apply now” button at the bottom of this page to start your application once the call is open.
Opening date of this fellowship: 1 June 2021
Closing date of this fellowship: 31 August 2021
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the preliminary acceptance letter as early as possible, even before the opening date of the call. Keeping in mind that only Acceptance letters dated the same year as the year of application are eligible.
- TWAS-CUI Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in the departments and laboratories of the campuses of the COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI). NB: In 2018, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT) changed its name to COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI).
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period of 18 months.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may granted for a period of up to 3 years. Candidates will register for their PhD in the relevant department at one of the campuses of CUI, Pakistan.
- CUI-TWAS Fellowships are offered in the following areas of the natural and related applied sciences: Mathematics, Biosciences, Metrology, Pharmacy, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Physics, Chemical Engineering and Management Sciences.
- CUI-TWAS Fellowships are also offered in the following social and economic sciences: Development Studies, Economics, Economics and International Relations.
- CUI will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs such as food, accommodation and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- Successful applicants will be able to join from Spring semester 2022 (depending availability of PhD programmes in Spring) which starts in February 2022, except for Abbottabad campus where the Spring semester starts in March 2022.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not be on site in Pakistan;
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- hold an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences;
- IF applying in a field of eligible social sciences, hold a MSc degree in a field of social sciences;
- be a maximum age of 35 years by 31 December in the year if application;
- for candidates applying for a CUI-TWAS Full-time PG Fellowship: candidates applying for a full-time PhD programme at CUI must have 18 years of education up to MS/MPhil degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.0/4.0 and departmental test within the first semester of studies, or a valid GAT (subject) /GRE (subject) score as specified on the CUI website at http://international.admissions.comsats.edu.pk/
- for SANDWICH Fellowships: be registered PhD students in a developing country and provide the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" from the HOME university (see sample in guidelines);
- for FULL-TIME Fellowships: be willing to register at CUI, Pakistan;
- provide a certificate of good health - including results of a COVID-19 test (not older than 48 hours) - from a qualified medical doctor;
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from CUI (see sample preliminary acceptance letter that can be downloaded below or included in the application form). Requests for acceptance must be sent to Mr. Kashif Masood, Deputy Registrar (International) (by email firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Mr. Kashif Masood, applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their CV, a research proposal outline, the completed Foreign Student Information Sheet (available below for download) and scanned copy of their valid passport (just page with picture and biodata). For any queries, please contact email@example.com (Attention of: Mr. Kashif Masood, CUI Deputy Registrar);
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members and for any delay incurred in completing the fellowship.
Submitting your application
- The call for applications is open from 1 June until 31 August 2021.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from CUI when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and signed. The subject line must contain CUI/PG and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants to the TWAS-CUI Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send a copy of their application to CUI.
- Applications can only be accepted via the online portal using the apply now button at the bottom of this page.
Are you a potential applicant for a full-time PhD in a field related to atmospheric science, climate and climate change, hydrology, multi-hazard early-warning or disaster-risk reduction? If so, you may be interested in applying for a World Meteorological Organization (WMO) travel grant as a complement to the PhD fellowship.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
• COMSATS University Islamabad (CUI)
Mr. Kashif Masood
Deputy Registrar (International)
Park Road, Chak Shahzad
Tel: (+9251) 9049 5272
Fax: (+9251) 924 7010