TWAS is inviting nominations for the 2022 Award from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries.
Self nominations (i.e. applications) WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Nominations for the 2022 award are invited in Agricultural Sciences or Biology.
Nominees must be female scientists national of a ST-lagging country and have been living and working there for at least two years immediately prior to their nomination (i.e. from 20/4/2020).
For a list of the ST-lagging countries, please visit: https://twas.org/node/2329
Fellows of TWAS are not eligible.
Self nominations and nominations from jury members will not be considered.
The same nominee cannot be nominated for more than one 'Fellows of TWAS Awards' in a given year. The secretariat retains the right to bring to the attention of the relevant nominators that the nomination may be suitable for another award, and the final decision whether or not to shift the nomination will be taken by the nominators themselves.
A pre-screening of the candidates will be done at TWAS, the nomination dossiers of the qualified candidates will then be submitted to jury members for their evaluation. Based on this evaluation Prof. Fayzah Al-Kharafi will select the winner.
How to nominate a scientist
The 2022 nominations can only be submitted electronically through the on-line platform by clicking on the “NEW NOMINATION” button at the bottom of this page.
To resume working on saved nominations, click on the "RESUME" button at the bottom of this page.
The deadline for receiving nominations is 20 April 2022, however we strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the nomination as early as you can to enable us to process it as quickly as possible.
Before starting compiling the nomination, PLEASE PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE MAXIMUM CHARACTERS ALLOWED.
A nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details;
- Nominee contact details (self nominations and nominations from jury members are not accepted) and general information on the nominee, including the country where she has been working and living in the past 2 years;
- Authorization from the nominee (i.e. the candidate) to process her personal data for the purposes of her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. The privacy authorization form is available for download in the section ‘nominee’s personal data’. The form must be filled in and signed by the candidate and then uploaded onto the on-line platform;
- Suggested citation (15-20 words highlighting the nominee's scientific achievements either in Agricultural Sciences or Biology);
- Supporting statement regarding the nominee’s contribution in either Agricultural Sciences or Biology. Supporting statements should explain in detail the work performed by the candidate and its significance in the relevant scientific context. Clear reference should be made to the scientific impact of the nominee's work. Vague supporting statements will not be considered and will negatively affect the evaluation;
- Clear and detailed account of any time spent abroad by the nominee in the past two years;
- PhD: information on subject area, year and awarding institution;
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies;
- Brief information on awards and honours received;
- List of 10 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format;
- The nominee's brief CV and her complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform.
- The nominee's h-index in Google Scholar and its associated number of citations.
PLEASE CHECK IF ENTERED DATA ARE VALID
1) While filling in the form, pay attention to the requirements for each field (e.g. maximum number of characters, file type, date format, etc.)
2) Run a check using the button of the form menu to verify that mandatory fields have been filled in and the data you entered are accepted. This also saves your form.
Every time you run a check, you are taken to the last section of the form named "Submit". Use the form menu to navigate to the previous sections.
3) After you run a check, fields with NOT ACCEPTED OR MISSING DATA will be highlighted in RED.
Please note that once you have duly modified the content of one or more fields, the red highlight will not disappear until you run again a check.
For quick tips, please click on: http://onlineforms.twas.org/documents/Applicants_tutorial.pdf
Previous winners of the TWAS-Fayzah M. Al-Kharafi Award.
2021 – Huda Omer Salem Basaleem of Yemen, for her distinguished work in cancer control strategies and in enhancing child health locally and regionally.
2020 – Meththika Suharshini Vithanage of Sri Lanka, for her scholarly output on waste biomass conversion, environmental monitoring and remediation
2019 – Antonethe Castaneda Mena of Guatemala, for her work bringing together Latin American communities to plan for a future of renewable energy and sustainable development.
2018 – Lydie-Stella Koutika from Congo Rep. for her research in afforestation for improving soil N, C status and P availability of savannas in central Africa.
2017 – Fathiah Zakham, Yemen
2016 – Marian Nkansah, Ghana
* Note: During the TWAS Council meeting held in Hangzhou, China, on 11 November 2019, the request by UNESCO to change the term 'prize' to 'award' for all existing and new TWAS distinctions other than medals was approved and therefore this award scheme is now called 'TWAS-Fayzah M. Al-Kharafi Award'.