The award reflects the Chinese Academy of Sciences' strong support to TWAS and, more generally, seeks to build scientific capacity in the developing world. Bai Chunli, president of both the Chinese Academy and TWAS, played a central role in the creation of the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award.
The TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award is named after the renowned Chinese economist Siwei Cheng (1935-2015), an economist, chemical engineer, and major political figure. He is most well-known for his work in modern Chinese economic development as a driving force behind the establishment of ChiNext, a stock exchange designed to provide venture capital in technology companies. His work has had a profound impact on both the Chinese and global economy.
Note: From 2020 the Award will be given every second year.
- From 2017 a prize of US$10,000 will be awarded in the field of Economic Sciences.
- The prize is accompanied by a medal.
- The prize will be presented on a special occasion, often coinciding with the General Meeting of TWAS.
Candidates for the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences must be economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least ten years immediately before their nomination. They must meet at least one of the following qualifications:
- Scientific research achievement in economic sciences of outstanding significance for the development of scientific thought.
- Outstanding contribution to the application of economic sciences to sustainable development.
The outstanding contribution may be defined in relation to existing opportunities and realistic possibilities available to the candidate.
This applies particularly to candidates from scientifically disadvantaged countries.
Members of TWAS and candidates for TWAS membership are not eligible for the prize.
Self-nominations will not be considered.
- TWAS is inviting nominations from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries.
- Nominations can only be submitted electronically through the on-line nomination platform and clearly state the candidate's contribution to understanding and addressing economic sciences.
- Nominations of women social scientists and candidates from scientifically lagging countries are particularly encouraged.
- Selection of the awardees is made on merit and on the recommendations of the selection committees composed of TWAS members.
How to nominate a scientist
The TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences’ nominations can only be submitted electronically through the on-line platform by clicking on the “NEW NOMINATION” button at the bottom of this page.
To resume working on saved nominations, click on the "RESUME" button at the bottom of this page.
Before starting compiling the nomination, PLEASE PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE MAXIMUM CHARACTERS ALLOWED.
A nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details
- Nominee contact details (self nominations are not accepted) and general infomation on the nominee, including the country where he/she has been working and living in the past 10 years
- Scientific field the nominations if for (only one)
- Suggested citation (20-25 words highlighting the nominee's scientific achievements)
- Supporting statement which should explain carefully the work performed by the nominee, its significance and justification to its outstanding nature. The outstanding contribution may be defined in relation to existing opportunities and realistic possibilities available to the candidate. This applies particularly to candidates from scientifically disadvantaged countries
- Biographical sketch of the nominee in NARRATIVE style. Information on any time spent abroad of the home country in the past ten years is to be clearly provided.
- Degrees obtained
- Professional appointments
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies
- Brief information on awards and honours received
- List of 12 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format.
- Google Scholar h-index and number of citations
- Contact details (especially email addresses) of five referees covering a wide geographical distribution, whom we can contact regarding the nominee's work. It is to be noted that referees reports can only be submitted through the online platform. In particular, the referees will be contacted by TWAS through the email address entered in the nomination form. Please note that if fewer than three meaningful referees reports have been received by the deadline set by the TWAS Executive Director, the nomination will not be processed. It is recommended that Referees place the focus of their letter on the impact of the nominee's work.
- The nominee's brief CV and her/his complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform (only pdf files are allowed).
- Authorization from the nominee to process his/her personal data for the purposes of his/her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. In particular, nominees will be contacted by TWAS by means of the email address inserted in the nomination form, and requested to submit online their acceptance, if so they wish, by the deadline indicated.
PLEASE CHECK IF ENTERED DATA ARE VALID
1) While filling in the form, pay attention to the requirements for each field (e.g. maximum number of characters, file type -Word files will not be uploaded, only pdf files are allowed-, date format, etc.)
2) Run a check using the button of the form menu to verify that mandatory fields have been filled in and the data you entered are accepted. This also saves your form.
Every time you run a check, you are taken to the last section of the form named "Submit". Use the form menu to navigate to the previous sections.
3) After you run a check, fields with NOT ACCEPTED OR MISSING DATA will be highlighted in RED.
Please note that once you have duly modified the content of one or more fields, the red highlight will not disappear until you run again a check.
For quick tips, please click on: http://onlineforms.twas.org/documents/Applicants_tutorial.pdf
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE EXTENDED DEADLINE TO RECEIVE NOMINATIONS IS 10 APRIL 2020. HOWEVER WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE DEADLINE BUT SUBMIT YOUR NOMINATION AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
- Inquiries should be addressed to:
TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240 387
Fax: +39 040 2240 7387, email@example.com