TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme
In collaboration with UNESCO and a number of centres of excellence in the South, TWAS has instituted a Joint Associateship Scheme to enable competent researchers from the South to visit these centres regularly. An associate is appointed for three years during which he/she can visit a Centre twice for research collaboration. TWAS provides travel support for the associates and a contribution towards subsistence costs up to USD300.00 per month while living expenses are covered by the host centres.
In 1994, in cooperation with UNESCO, TWAS instituted an Associateship Scheme to help counteract the brain drain affecting many developing countries. The programme supports regular visits by researchers from developing countries to centres of excellence in the South. Almost 300 centres of excellence in the South have agreed to participate in the programme.
Applicants must hold a PhD or equivalent degree. The selection of associates is highly competitive; appointments are made on the basis of merit. Special consideration is given to scientists from isolated institutions in developing countries. Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
Appointments have a fixed duration of three years. During this time, the associate is entitled to visit the host centre twice, for a period of 2 to 3 months each time. Subject to the availability of funds, the appointment may be renewed for a further 3-year term.
The Associateship covers the associate's travel expenses and a monthly contribution of USD300 towards incidental local expenses. The host centre covers accommodation and food, and provides the research facilities.
Applications for TWAS Associateships should include:
- the completed application form (see below);
- a recent invitation letter - on the host institution’s letterhead paper - from one of the Institutions listed in the two files at the end of this page. It should contain the proposed time of the visits (two to three months for each visit) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available;
- the applicant's curriculum vitae, and
- the applicant's full list of publications.
- In addition, letters of recommendation must be submitted separately to TWAS by two referees, one of whom should be from an expert from another country.
Applications must reach the TWAS Secretariat by 1 December of each year at the following address:
Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-330
Fax: +39 040 224559
The Word document, with both general information as well as the application form, is available below, as well as two lists of centres participating in the scheme from which to choose: 175 in Argentina and 96 in all other developing countries.