2020 TWAS Lenovo Science Award (shared):
- Mariangela HUNGRIA, Female, from Brazil
For her outstanding research with microorganisms, contributing to the replacement of chemical fertilizers, with economic, environment and social impacts.
- LI Jiayang, FTWAS, Male, from China
For his seminal contribution to the understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying high-yield superior-quality traits and breeding elite rice varieties.
2022 TWAS Awards
- XIE Daoxin, Male, from China
For his fundamental contribution to the mechanistic understanding of how plants sense two important hormones jasmonate and strigolactone to regulate plant defense and development.
- CHEN Ruey-Hwa, Female, from Taiwan, China
For her significant contribution to the understanding of cell signaling and protein posttranslational modifications in controlling cancer progression, cell death, and autophagy.
- CHEN Chunying, Female, from China
For her pioneering contributions to Nano-Bio Interface and the fate of nanomaterials in biota that provided fundamental insights for rational design of precision nanomedicine.
- Engin Umut AKKAYA, Male, from Turkey
For his fundamental contribution to the understanding of how inherent limitations of photodynamic therapy can be overcome.
Earth, Astronomy and Space Sciences (shared):
- IP Wing-Huen, Male, from Taiwan, China
For pioneering dynamical models of orbital migration of the outer planets during solar system formation and of cometary ionospheres and satellite-magnetosphere interaction.
- Laurent Raymond LOINARD, Male, from Mexico
For his contribution to the study of star-formation and the environment of black holes using very long baseline interferometry.
- Mohamed-Slim ALOUINI, Male, from Saudi Arabia (nationality: Tunisia)
For his contribution to the development of modern wireless communication networks as well as teaching, education, and mentoring in telecommunication engineering.
- Helena Judith NUSSENZVEIG LOPES, Female, from Brazil
For her contribution to the rigorous mathematical analysis of incompressible fluid flow models at or near turbulent regimes.
Medical Sciences (Shared):
- SONG Erwei, Male, from China
For his contribution to the understanding of the mechanisms of tumor plasticity regulated by ncRNAs and tumor microenvironment (TME), and significantly contributed to TME-targeted therapies in cancer treatment.
- Hugo D. LUJAN, Male, from Argentina
For his studies on the molecular mechanisms of parasite adaptation and differentiation, using Giardia lamblia as a model system.
- María Teresa DOVA, Female, from Argentina
For her work on Higgs boson discovery and its characterisation and search for New Physics.
Social Sciences (Shared):
- LIU Junguo, Male, from China
For his fundamental contribution to policy relevant studies on water resources, climate change mitigation, and environmental management in China and other developing countries.
- Irasema ALCANTARA-AYALA, Female, from Mexico
For her outstanding contribution to integrated disaster risk research and commitment to develop trans-disciplinary, multi-sectorial partnerships for disaster risk reduction in the developing world.
2020 TWAS-CNR Rao Award:
- Raoelina ANDRIAMBOLOLONA, FTWAS, Male, from Madagascar
For his development of peaceful uses of nuclear science and technology, both in Madagascar and in Africa.
2020 TWAS - Mohammad A. Hamdan Award:
- Abdon ATANGANA, Male, from South Africa (nationality: Cameroon)
For his contribution to fractal mathematics and partial differential equations.
2020 TWAS-CAS Young Scientist Award for Frontier Science in Physical Sciences:
- Parameswaran AJITH, Male, India
For his pioneering contributions to the development of phenomenological models of gravitational-wave signals from coalescing binary black holes.
2020 TWAS-Atta-ur-Rahman Award:
- Basant GIRI, Male, from Nepal
For his outstanding work on the development of low-cost analytical tools for biological, chemical, environmental, and clinical applications.
2022 TWAS Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences
- Menale KASSIE , Male from Kenya (nationality: Ethiopia)
For advancing our understanding of the process and impacts of multiple-technology adoption in complex social and agricultural environments in sub-Saharan Africa.
2020 TWAS-Samira Omar Innovation for Sustainability Award:
- Badabate DIWEDIGA, Male, from Togo
For promoting sustainable land management towards agricultural innovation, rural transformation, and climate change mitigation in Africa.
2020 TWAS-Fayzah M. Al-Kharafi Award:
- Meththika Suharshini VITHANAGE, Female, from Sri Lanka
For her work on environmental remediation of toxic metals, antibiotics, agrochemicals, serpentine soil chemistry, and waste biomass conversion.
2020 TWAS-Abdool Karim Award:
- Faith Hope Amongin OSIER, Female, Kenya
For her contribution to understanding the mechanisms of acquired immunity against Falciparum malaria in humans.