Please use the “apply now” button at the bottom of this page to start your application once the call is open.
Opening date of this fellowship: 1 March 2022
Closing date of this fellowship: 31 May 2022
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the preliminary acceptance letter as early as possible, even before the opening date of the call. Keeping in mind that only acceptance letters dated the same year as the year of application are eligible.
- TWAS-NCP Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments and laboratories of the National Centre for Physics (NCP) for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months in one of the following fields: Plasma Physics, High Energy Physics (Experimental and Theoretical), Quantum Information, Applications of Ion Beam Techniques using Tandem Accelerator (5MV), Atomic Physics & Spectroscopy, Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS), Modeling, Simulation & Computing, Astrophysics & Cosmology, Vacuum Science & Technology (Vacuum Standards, Vacuum Coating & Material), Additive manufacturing and 3D printing and Artificial Intelligence.
- NCP will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs such as food, accommodation and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be permanent residents in a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of natural sciences;
- apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Pakistan) and hold a research assignment there;
- provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from NCP. Requests for acceptance must be sent to the General Manager (GM) of the Collaboration & Academic Activities Directorate (CAAD) (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting the GM, CAAD, applicants must accompany their request for an acceptance letter with a copy of their CV and a research proposal outline. See sample preliminary acceptance letter that can be downloaded below or included in the online application form.
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Submitting your application
- The call for applications is open until 31 May 2022.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from NCP when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-NCP Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 687
• General Manager (GM)
Collaboration & Academic Activities Directorate (CAAD)
National Centre for Physics (NCP)
Quaid-e-Azam University Campus, Shahdara Valley Road
Tel: +92 51 2077350
Fax: +92 51 2077395